Monday, May 27, 2024

Sashi of Stargazer Champion of the Heart 2024

 Sashi is one of my special needs Stargazers. Due to the appearance and growth of a soft tissue sarcoma on her left wrist, she had her left leg amputated in February of this year.  The mass  first appeared three years ago at a time when Sashi was still running in harness at the age of 9 years. Her doctor debrided the mass twice and this year it became time for Sashi to become a tripawed.  Post surgery, her athleticism paid off, as she slowly healed and developed a new hop to her step. Quite amazing really, how she adapted almost immediately, hopping into the car and up  five steps upon her arrival home after the surgery.  Sashi has always been a firecracker, born close to the 4th of July.  Her debut at Stargazer came following an illicit feast on a couple dozen chickens, a trip to the county shelter, and a short visit at another foster home where she terrorized the owner's dogs. She was an escape artist, and had to be tethered while acclimatizing at Stargazer. That and the fact that I had about a dozen hens myself.  In her running years, Sashi was not a lead dog, as her downfall was the sniff and pee syndrome. She was a great team dog, running with many partners over the years. Full of personality and playfulness, losing a leg has not diminished her spirit. She is one of the last of what I call the originals and along with Bella she goes back to the early days of my Siberian Husky joy. Siberians are not generally snugglers, and Sash is no different in that way. Earlier days, she would holler at me if I inadvertently touched her or loved on her. These days, she follows me around and lays near me. She still roughhouses with the boys and lets them know who is boss. Sashi is a true Siberian and is always a Champion of My Heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment